Monday, February 6, 2012

ferberizing and carless


Ferberzing? What's that you ask?

Dr. Richard Ferber wrote a book called " Solve your Child's Sleep Problems" and I have been reading it over the last few days. It took me awhile to actually go out and buy the book ( which by the way, I will almost never go and buy a BRAND NEW book anymore. I've gone to half price books, which are gently used books. I've saved so much money by going there) I would either forget or procrastinate, I'm sure you know how that goes, if not, then bless you because my mind sure doesn't work the way it used to after having Bristol.

I skimmed over a couple chapters and FINALLY came to the "good stuff". The "good stuff" is how to get my sweet Bristol to sleep in her crib without being swaddled. I tried the good ole " cry it out and never go check on your child" method. Broke.my.heart. I'm not saying anything bad about parent's who have done that, you just have more GUTS than I do. After Bristol cried for about an hour and a half last week on a Wednesday night, I decided I couldn't do the old fashion approach. So that's when I ventured to 1/2 priced books and bought "the book". Best $6.80 I have spent in a long time.

I'm just going to cut to the chase here, The past 3-4 nights that I have been implementing the ferber method, my sweet child has slept through the night sans swaddle, swing and late night feeding. MIRACLE? i think so. What have I done? Well, I put her in her crib awake at night. After 5 mins, if she is crying, I go in and check on her. I don't pick her up but I will rub her head and such for 2-3 mins, then I leave again. The next "check in" will be 10 mins later from the last time I checked in. So on and so forth. I increase the check in time by 5 mins each time. This approach is so much easier on myself and Bristol.

Now that my sweet baby is doing better with sleep, we have another problem in the Barron household. My car (brandon drives it to work) is under the weather. I've had some major issues with it over the past year or so. Quick story, I took my car to get an oil change september of 2010 and about 2 weeks later, all the oil poured our of my car onto my drive way. The oil filter had completey came off. I did not know this and I drove it and while on my way to work I thought my car was going to blow up. I turned back around and went home and that's when I found ALL the oil on my drive way. The place that did it FINALLY came around ( after numerous phone calls, threats, paperwork, phone calls and more phone calls) and had to put a whole new engine in my car. Yeah, crazy I know. So now something is leaking again. UGH! We so don't have the money to fix my car. Say a prayer that it's a MINOR tee-tiny fix. I love this car and it's been so good. In fact, I miss driving her.

Well, I'm off to do some school work. Fun right?


1 comments:

Wendi said...

So glad that method is working. And thanks for teaching me that there was a name to it. Ha! We did that same thing, except Wade had to go in there to soothe him so he wouldn't think I was going to feed him! {that's when I took my bubble baths} :) YAY Bristol!